Careers and Internships
How many hours per week will I be expected to intern?
- NOW offers full and part-time internships throughout the year. Interns are required to work a minimum of 20-24 hours per week, though full-time interns are preferred in the summer.
Can I receive college credit for my internship?
- Yes. We will be happy to work with you and your school to arrange academic credit if desired.
Do you ever accept high school students to your internship program?
- Unfortunately, NOW does not accept high school students to its internship program. However, we do encourage people of all ages to support NOW. If you are in high school and would like to support NOW, contact your local chapter (add a hyperlink to chapter page) to get involved.
Do I have to be a college student to apply for an internship?
- No. While most of the people who apply to our program are actively enrolled in college, you do not have to be a student to be considered for an internship at NOW.
Do I have to be a woman to apply for an internship?
- No! People of all gender identities are important allies in the struggle for equality, and we encourage everyone to work with us toward this goal at the organization.
Do you accept international students to your internship program?
- Yes, we do. It is easy for us to accept international students to our program as long as they are already in the country on a student visa. If you want to come to the U.S. for our internship program and you are not a student, you must first apply for a J-1 visitor visa through a program such as The Washington Center. For more information about visitor visas, please visit the state department’s website.
Do I have to have NOW experience to apply?
- No, it is not essential to have prior experience with NOW to apply for an internship. In fact, most applicants do not have prior experience with NOW. That being said, some of our best interns have come to the internship having previously worked with a local chapter.
How flexible are you on internship start and end dates? What if I can’t intern for the whole semester?
- We are very flexible on start and end dates for interns. Once you’re accepted to the program, you can work with the Intern Coordinator to identify the best dates for you to start and end your internship. Unfortunately, we are not able to accept applicants who are available for less than six weeks (summer semester included).
My school is on the quarter system. Do you accept interns whose school schedule doesn’t follow the same fall, spring, and summer semesters as other schools?
- We are very accommodating to students whose availability does not follow the traditional semester. On the web application form, there is an option for you to select which semester you’re applying for, but we also ask you to identify your preferred start and end dates. If your school is not on the semester system, please indicate the nearest semester to which you’re applying and specify the start and end dates for which you are available.
How do I make my internship application outstanding?
- The most outstanding applicants will exhibit a strong commitment to and/or experience in grassroots organizing and feminist issues. Some things that might boost an application above others include:
- Previous grassroots or political organizing experience–on campus, in your community, or with a NOW chapter
- Experience with gender equality or social justice movements–through activism, academics, or employment
- Commitment to intersectionality, and building an inclusive feminist movement.