NOW is the largest, most comprehensive feminist advocacy group in the United States with hundreds of thousands of contributing members and hundreds of state and local chapters across all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Our mission is to bring women into full participation in society – sharing equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities with men, while living free from discrimination.
Each semester NOW interns participate in a wide range of activities that provide them with the tools and knowledge to become activist leaders, such as:
- A Comprehensive leadership training
- Frequent opportunities to organize and attend Congressional and U.S. Supreme Court hearings, press conferences, demonstrations, and rallies
- Training in our successful, time-honored grassroots organizing tactics
- Weekly intern discussion groups and field trips on a wide range of feminist issues
Do you have more questions about our internships? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page.
DutiesInterns will work with one of the following teams
- Communications Team: Research, draft and edit articles for NOW's various publications (including the blog), email communications (including advocacy, fundraising, and monthly newsletters) and social media platforms. Assist with developing comprehensive messaging for cross-organizational purposes, including calendar for internal use. Work with the Senior Communications Associate and the Field Team to develop social media campaigns and content for chapter use. Work with the Senior Communications Associate to produce daily content for various social media platforms, namely Facebook and Twitter. Track media hits and update press clips on website. Coordinate projects for the NOW Foundation’s Love Your Body campaign. At events with NOW officers, take photographs and video (when appropriate). Qualifications: Demonstrated commitment to progressive social change; excellent written and verbal communication skills; training and/or experience with editorial or advocacy writing; knowledge of Associated Press style preferred, but not required; familiarity with Facebook and Twitter a must (includes personal usage); experience with other social media platforms, such as Google+, Pinterest, or Tumblr, is a plus; strong organizational skills, attention to detail, professional demeanor and the ability to juggle several tasks while meeting deadlines; general computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office applications; and HTML or WordPress experience is a plus.
- Digital Communications: Do you follow the news and breaking events on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites? Are you passionate about women’s issues and social change? Do you blog and vlog, tweet and snapchat, and wear your politics on your feed? If you are interested in making lasting contributions in digital advocacy and fundraising at the largest organization of feminist activists in the United States, then you should join our Online Communications Internship Program.Candidate must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and professional under pressure. Qualified candidates will have great written and verbal communication skills, a strong handling of calendaring and scheduling, and the ability to juggle several tasks while meeting deadlines. The ideal candidate will have interest or training in online advocacy and has demonstrated a commitment to progressive social change.Significant familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and other social media platforms is a must. Confidence with software: Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel, also a must; Photoshop and video editing experience a plus! Familiarity with eCRM systems (Salsa Labs) preferred; HTML knowledge is a plus.
- Field Organizing Team: Get involved in the nuts and bolts of grassroots organizing for NOW's broad range of priority issues. Work on rallies, campaigns, chapter development, and materials development.
- Government Relations/Public Policy Team: Characterized by lobbying as well as legislative research and writing.
- Membership/Fundraising Team: Learn highly marketable skills for the non-profit world by providing customer service to donors, assisting with data management and communicating with chapter leaders and activists.
- Political Action Committee: Assist with NOW PAC organizing, including meeting with candidates, processing endorsement requests, and researching candidates' records on women's rights issues.
- President's Office: Work directly with NOW's President and her Assistant, staffing the president at speaking events, as well as outreach meetings with heads of allied organizations. Learn first-hand how a grassroots activist organization works.