Summer 2017 Internship: May 2017 – August 2017
“This was one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had in my college career and only solidified my love for advocacy and my passion for the women’s movement.” – Aurea Bolaños Pera (President’s Office Intern)
NOW is the largest, most comprehensive feminist advocacy group in the United States with hundreds of thousands of contributing members and hundreds of state and local chapters across all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Our mission is to bring women into full participation in society – sharing equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities with men, while living free from discrimination.
Each semester NOW interns participate in a wide range of activities that provide them with the tools and knowledge to become activist leaders, such as:
- Frequent opportunities to organize and attend Congressional and U.S. Supreme Court hearings, press conferences, demonstrations, and rallies
- Writing blog posts about current feminist and social justice issues
- Attending NOW 101s: workshops with staff focusing on feminist issues and professional development
- Lobbying members of Congress to support key legislation
- Engaging with NOW’s grassroots members
- *Summer interns attend and staff NOW’s annual conference
Do you have more questions about our internships? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page.
DutiesInterns will work with one of the following teams:
- President’s Office interns will learn firsthand how a grassroots activist organization works by working directly with NOW’s President and her assistant.
- Assist with staffing the president at speaking events
- Attend meetings relating to NOW’s policies and initiatives
- Assist in planning rallies and any other NOW events
- Facilitate communication among members of the National Board
- Work to create a welcoming and effective office environment
- Support NOW’s ongoing historical preservation project
- Help develop and manage collaborative, long-term intern projects
- Vice President’s Office interns will learn firsthand how a chapter-based activist organization functions by working directly with NOW’s President and the Chapter Services Assistant.
- Communicate with NOW chapters and activists
- Write endorsements for candidates on behalf of NOW
- Staff the Vice President at meetings and events
- Communications interns are responsible for assisting NOW's Communications Assistants with all social media related material. Interns will also research, draft, and edit articles for NOW's various publications.
- Help manage social media pages for NOW: moderating comments, creating weekly content focused on the news, historical events, and activist campaigns
- Support other departments through social media and outreach
- Track media hits and update press clips on website
- Analyze social media data and performance
- Take photographs at events when appropriate
- National Action Program (NAP) interns aid the NAP Team in implementing NOW’s national action campaigns. They help research, create, and distribute activist material to NOW's state organizations and local chapters.
- Draft materials for activist toolkits
- Create content for campaign microsites
- Research new legislation and policy recommendations relevant to the Strategic Action Program
- Attend planning meetings with members of the national board
- Interns assist the director in extensive research and writing tasks relating to legislation, issues, and NOW actions. Interns will also attend coalition meetings, Congressional briefings, and hearings, and report back to staff.
- Keeping track of current legislation and news stories
- Conduct daily research on a variety of women’s issues, and write memos or briefs on various legislation and events that pertain to NOW
- Write informational blog posts that educate the online community on NOW’s positions on a variety of issues, including: women’s reproductive rights, economic justice, racial justice, and constitutional equality
- Attend and report on Capitol Hill briefings
- Fundraising and Development interns will learn highly marketable skills for the non-profit world by assisting the Fundraising Manager to retain and expand our donor base and improve NOW’s diverse fundraising efforts.
- Research donor engagement strategies and best practices
- Draft and proofread content for donor communications
- Research potential foundation and individual support, and update profiles in the donor database
- Manage aspects of the donor acknowledgement program
- Interns will have the opportunity to be involved with NOW’s PAC organizing.
- Process endorsement requests
- Research candidates’ records on women’s rights issues
- Attend PAC related meetings
QualificationsProspective interns should be hard-working, enthusiastic and flexible individuals who possess or seek a working knowledge of women's issues and feminist organizing. Interns should also be committed to continuing to struggle for equality and justice once they leave the internship program and return to their communities. A minimum of 15 hours per week is required. Full time interns are preferred for summer.
SalaryNOW offers unpaid internship opportunities, both full and part time, throughout the year. College credit for these internships can be arranged.
How To ApplyInterested interns must send the following to email@example.com:
- A completed application form
- A cover letter
- A resume