“This was one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had in my college career and only solidified my love for advocacy and my passion for the women’s movement.” – Aurea Bolaños Pera (President’s Office Intern)
“ This internship, for all its hard work, allows you to do some truly incredible things outside the office.” – Danielle Lorizio (Government Relations)
“ There are so many incredible people at NOW, and the environment is extremely friendly and cooperative” – Hannah Brown (Government Relations)
NOW is the largest, most comprehensive feminist advocacy group in the United States with hundreds of thousands of contributing members and hundreds of state and local chapters across all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Our mission is to bring women into full participation in society – sharing equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities with men, while living free from discrimination.
Each semester NOW interns participate in a wide range of activities that provide them with the tools and knowledge to become activist leaders, such as:
- A Comprehensive leadership training
- Frequent opportunities to organize and attend Congressional and U.S. Supreme Court hearings, press conferences, demonstrations, and rallies
- Training in our successful, time-honored grassroots organizing tactics
- Weekly intern discussion groups and field trips on a wide range of feminist issues
Do you have more questions about our internships? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page.
DutiesInterns will work with one of the following teams
President's Office: President’s Office interns will learn firsthand how a grassroots activist organization works by working directly with NOW’s President and her assistant.
- Assist with staffing the president at speaking events
- Sit-in on various meetings relating to NOW’s policies and initiatives
- Work on data management
- Helping with fundraising
- Communicating with NOW chapters across the country
- Assist in planning rallies and any other NOW events
Communications Team – Communications Interns are responsible for assisting NOW's Communications Assistant with all social media related material. Interns will also be responsible for researching, drafting, and editing articles for NOW's various publications.
- Help manage social media pages for NOW: moderating comments, creating weekly content based around the news, historical events, and current activist events,
- Responsible for writing blogs on NOW related issues and events
- Support other departments through social media and outreach
- Track media hits and update press clips on website
- Analyze social media data and performance
- Take photographs at events when appropriate
- Coordinate various projects for NOW campaigns
Field Organizing Team: Participate in grassroots organizing for NOW’s broad range of priority issues. Work on rallies, campaigns, chapter development, and materials development.
- Responsible for distributing materials to various NOW chapters
- Working on project management
- Help recruit volunteers for NOW and participate in voter mobilization efforts
- Help plan NOW related events
Government Relations/Public Policy Team: Interns will assist the director in extensive research and writing tasks relating to legislation, issues, and NOW actions. Interns will also attend coalition meetings, Congressional briefings, and hearings, and report back to staff.
- Keeping track of current legislation and news stories
- Conducting daily research on a variety of women’s issues, and writing memos or briefs on various legislation and events that pertain to NOW
- Participate in writing informational blog posts that serve in educating the online community on NOW’s positions on a variety of issues, some of which include: women’s reproductive rights, economic justice, racial justice, and constitutional equality
- Attend briefings on Capitol Hill for which you will be responsible for reporting on
Fundraising and Development: Fundraising and Development interns will learn highly marketable skills for the non-profit world by assisting the Fundraising Manager to retain and expand our donor base and improve NOW’s diverse fundraising efforts.
- Work on projects including researching donor engagement strategies and best practices
- Drafting and proofreading content for donor communications
- Researching potential foundation and individual support, updating profiles in the donor database
- Managing aspects of the donor acknowledgement program, and other duties as assigned
Political Action Committee: Interns will have the opportunity to be involved with NOW’s PAC organizing.
- Processing endorsement requests
- Researching candidates record on women’s rights issues
- Sitting in on PAC related meetings
QualificationsProspective interns should be hard working, enthusiastic and flexible individuals who possess or seek a working knowledge of women's issues and feminist organizing. Interns should also be committed to continuing to struggle for equality and justice once they leave the internship program and return to their campuses and communities. A minimum of 2 days per week is required. Full time interns are preferred.
SalaryNOW offers volunteer, unpaid internship opportunities, both full and part time, throughout the year. College credit for these internships can be arranged.
How To ApplyInterested interns must send the following to email@example.com:
- A completed application form
- A cover letter
- A resume
- One letter of recommendation
- A writing Sample (1-3 pages)