Take Action Checklist
To help ensure full economic racial equality for all we must all work together and speak out. There is so much you can do as activists.
- There are vital pieces of legislation that can help us achieve our goal of ending violence against women, including:
- Women’s Health Protection Act of 2022
- The Ensuring Access to Abortion Act of 2022
- Additionally, we need to speak out in support of comprehensive legislative actions to protect reproductive health:
- Federal and state governments must lift restrictions to allow for access to medication abortion via telehealth services.
- Congress must repeal the Hyde and Helms Amendments
- Congress must end the Global Gag Rule permanently.
- Congress must increase Title X funding to better meet the need for family planning and other preventive care services to low-income, uninsured, and under-insured individuals and families.
- Congress must expand coverage for contraception under the Affordable Care Act and increase funding for the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program.
- Congress must end federal funding for non-science-based abstinence-only-until-marriage programs
- Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and contact your representatives in the House and Senate to tell them you want abortion rights and reproductive health care rights codified into law. Here is a directory of current members of Congress. If you can call when Senators and representatives are home in your state, you can contact one of their several in-state offices. Just check their websites to find contact information.
- Don’t forget to reach out to your local elected officials too:
- Educate yourself on the issues before you reach out. Check out some recent NOW Action Alerts, Issue Advisory, Media statements and more on Reproductive Rights:
- ROE is Overturned, NOW What?
- Call Both Your Senators – Tell them to Pass the Women’s Health Protection Act NOW
- End the Filibuster NOW
- Blueprint for Reproductive Health, Rights and Justice
- NOW President Testifies Against Puerto Rico’s Extreme Abortion Bans
- Issue Advisory: We Won’t Go Back: Tracking the Fight for Reproductive Justice
- Medication Abortion: Just the Facts
- Mobilize for Abortion Rights
- Women will not be silenced
- We Won’t Go Back: Tracking the Fight for Reproductive Justice
- Issue Advisory: Risks of pregnancy
- Become a NOW member to receive regular updates and action alerts on issues surrounding reproductive health.
- Attend or organize a “Bans off our Bodies” rally with your local chapter, especially in states that are seeking to restrict access to abortion care. Or host your own rally in support of abortion care and reproductive rights. Learn more with our Rally Checklist.
- Speak out on social media:
- Share your thoughts on abortion care and reproductive health on social media — use our digital toolkit as a guide.
- Dates to highlight for social media outreach:
- January 22: Roe Day, The day Roe v. Wade became law
- March 8: Women’s Rights Day
- March: 10: National Day of Appreciation for Abortion Providers
- June 24: Anniversary of the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization decision that overturned Roe.
- Sept. 26: World Contraception Day
- Sept. 27-Oct. 1: Abortion Justice Week of Action
- Sept 28: International Safe Abortion Day
- Write Letters to the Editor in support of Roe — Sample letter template
- Campaign, Volunteer, and Vote for pro-choice candidates at the national, state, and local levels
- Join our RUN NOW program to learn more about working for or starting your campaign.
- Become a clinic escort:
- To find your local clinics, visit the websites for the National Abortion Federation and Abortion Care Network, both of which have maps that will show you all the abortion-providing clinics in each state. Then, once you’ve decided on a place or two where you’d like to volunteer, reach out to the clinics to inquire about their needs.
- Speak out loudly and often in support of abortion care rights wherever and whenever you are able. Whether it is on social media, in an op-ed, letter to the editor, rally speech or even just at the family dinner table, you can educate others on why safe, legal and accessible abortion care is so vitally needed.
- The Abortion Pill | Get the Facts About Medication Abortion (plannedparenthood.org)
- 21 Years After FDA Approval, Abortion Pill Is More Critical Than Ever – Ms. Magazine (msmagazine.com)
- Expanding Medication Abortion Access (EMAA Project), emaaproject.org
- ACOG’s Spontaneous and Induced Abortion Resource Center.