In celebration of the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment, PBS is premiering Rise Up: Songs of the Women’s Movement, which chronicles the role that music played in one of the nation’s most dynamic social movements of the 20th century. From the suffragists singing their speeches when they weren’t allowed to speak publicly to feminist anthems from Aretha Franklin, Lesley Gore, Helen Reddy, and many more, this documentary explores the dynamic soundtrack of the women’s movement.
The documentary features extensive interviews with NOW President Toni Van Pelt as well as Gloria Steinem and Jane Fonda. The first special chronicles the music and events from the early 1900s through the late 80s, and a second installment is planned.
- When: Airs on PBS at various times starting Feb 29, 2020.
- Where: Check your local PBS station for air dates listings: https://www.pbs.org/tv_schedules
- Trailer: https://vimeo.com/ggpandjbpfilms/riseupwomensong
- More information: www.riseupwomensongs.com
Join us in spreading the word about this documentary on social media:
On 2/29 @PBS celebrates music & feminism in Rise Up: Songs of the Women’s Movement, featuring interviews with @tonivp, @NationalNOW & history-making songs from Aretha Franklin, Lesley Gore, Helen Reddy & more. Find your station https://www.pbs.org/tv_schedules #riseupwomensongs
Watch RISE UP: Songs of the Women’s Movement a PBS music special that provides a look at how powerful songs sung by outstanding women artists have inspired women along the journey for independence and equal rights. Featuring an interview with NOW’s President Toni Van Pelt. Airs starting Feb 29th. Check your local PBS station for airdates listing @ https://www.pbs.org/tv_schedules #riseupwomensongs #watchriseupwomensongs www.riseupwomensongs.com
Playlists and Watch Parties
Here’s how you can celebrate with us:
- Sing along with us! NOW is launching our own Rise Up Spotify List inspired by the special.
- Host your own watch parties and share your photos and reactions with @NationalNOW and @PBS on social media with the hashtag #riseupwomensongs
NOW is proud to be part of this celebration of feminist activism and the music that has helped us to advance our cause. We hope that you will watch with us this weekend!