REMINDER: August 6-8 – Stand in the Way of Injustice
August 6, 2020 marks the 55th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act, a day when this country finally moved towards becoming a true democracy with fair and equal elections. Yet voter suppression tactics continue to threaten the fundamental right to vote for Black and Brown communities.
That is why NOW is proud to join Barbara R. Arnwine, the Transformative Justice Coalition (TJC), the Rainbow PUSH Coalition and other organizations for this upcoming interactive virtual national summit:
WHEN: Aug. 6th-8th, 2020
The already devastating impact of voter suppression is now amplified by the COVID-19 pandemic. The summit will provide in-depth workshops discussing practical solutions such as:
- Advocating for as many ballot drop boxes in communities as possible, not just at polling places.
- Expanding curbside voting to eliminate long and potentially dangerous waiting lines.
- Educating voters to apply for absentee and early voting at the earliest possible time to avoid possible delays caused by understaffing of the U.S. postal service.
- Exploring resources to get people registered and informed on how to exercise their right to vote.
Virtual workshops and events will include:
- Tributes to John Lewis and Departed VRA Champions
- Workshops on:
- Organizing Massive Voter Registration & Voter Contact Systems during the COVID-19 Era
- Election Protection 2020: Connecting Volunteer Lawyers to Groups
- Creating Rapid Response System Fighting Domestic and Foreign Disinformation Online
- Poll Worker Recruitment
- Reparations and the Vote
- In honor of the 55th anniversary of the VRA, an in-person march to Black Lives Matter Plaza in Washington, D.C.
So many women have stood in the way of injustice and demanded voting rights for all, including Emma Sanders, who passed away in June at 91 years old, Ella Baker, Fannie Lou Hamer, and many other sisters in suffrage. NOW is proud to stand with their legacies and support the Protecting America’s Vote summit. Register today!