ACTION ALERT: Women and Children need the American Families Plans
THE ISSUE: The American Families Plan is once-in-a-generation investments in our nation’s future.
The American Families Plan includes $1.8 trillion in investments and tax credits for American families and children over 10 years. By investing in at least four years of free education, creating national comprehensive paid family and medical leave, and extending key tax cuts that benefit lower and middle-income workers and families, the American Families Plan will grow the middle class, expand economic opportunities to all Americans, and reinvest in our nation’s children and families.
WHY IT MATTERS: With 3.7 million fewer women in the workforce, the pandemic has eroded decades of progress made by women in the labor force. Women are disproportionately facing economic instability and need bold reforms to get back to work. The American Families Plan addresses families’ “kitchen table” concerns, such as childcare and education costs, paid family medical leave, and nutrition insecurity. It will help families cover basic expenses, lower health insurance premiums, and fight child poverty, so that American families may finally get some relief. This investment will pay for itself by developing our nation’s future workforce by offering two years of free universal pre-school and two years of free community college.
THE STATUS: President Joe Biden spoke about this major initiative in his address to Congress and though we expect that the Democrats in Congress are very supportive, the Republicans have indicated concerns over the trillions of dollars required. The President has invited the Republicans to sit down with him and work out a plan they could all support. Polls show that a majority of the public likes the American Families Plan. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) wants to pass the American Jobs Plan by July 4, and we expect that there will be a push to pass the American Families Act soon after that.
WHAT CAN I DO? Call your Representative and your Senators to urge them to support the American Families Plan.
HOW DO I DO IT? Don’t know who your House member is? Go to https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative and follow instructions. Or, for House members’ phone numbers, go to https://www.house.gov/representatives. Another option: send a message via a Representative’s official website by entering her/his name in the search window, and the website will appear. Write a short message using the information below. And you can always call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121.
To be connected to your senators’ offices, call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. You can enter your state on this U.S. Senate Directory webpage and get contact information for both your senators, https://www.cop.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm Or, if you know the names of your senators, you can go directly to their official websites and send a message. Calling and leaving a message is better; you can always call the senators in-state offices and leave a message.
WHAT DO I SAY?
As a constituent, I urge you to support and vote for the American Families Plan. These plans are critical for our nation’s economic recovery and will help millions of women who have lost their jobs or force to leave the workforce to care for children.
Millions of families are suffering as a result of the pandemic; hundreds of thousands of small businesses have closed or are barely hanging on. Major investment of the kind that President Biden is proposing is essential if this nation is to recover. Please support the American Families Plan.
SPREAD THE WORD
Contacting your representative and senators is just a start. Help us keep the conversation going by spreading the word on social media and urging others to take action. Below are some sample social media posts you can use:
- This Mother’s Day Weekend- show your mother you care by fighting for the issues that most affect American Families! The #AmericanFamiliesPlan will help women and their families by:
- ✅ providing universal Pre-K
- ✅ paid family and medical leave
- ✅ expand access to health care
- The #AmericanFamiliesPlan is a plan your mother will love! By creating national paid family and medical leave, providing free, high-quality pre-K, expanding school meal programs, and so much more, the #AmericanFamiliesPlan will give working families the relief they need! ]
- Mothers need the #AmericanFamiliesPlan! By addressing “Kitchen Table” concerns, the American Families Plan will uplift working families and invest in our Nation’s children. This Mother’s Day Weekend, call your representatives and urge them to support the American Families Plan so that all of our Mothers can get some relief!
- The American Families Plan will offer economic support for #ChildCare, up to two years of #FreeCommunityCollege, and #HBCU’s! The #AmericanFamiliesPlan is a critical investment in our nation’s children and working families.
- Imagine what a difference #AffordableChildCare would make for working families. Americans need the #AmericanFamiliesPlan🙌🏻
- When families succeed, we all thrive! The #AmericanFamiliesPlan is a once-in-a-generation investment in our Nation’s future!