A Message from NOW’s 28th Amendment ERA Committee
NOW’s 28th Amendment ERA Committee goal is to educate and provide actions for NOW activists to get involved with to finally ratify the ERA. Below are some actions for you and your chapter members to get involved with – there are a lot of ways to show your support and get involved. We need all hands on deck!
1. SIGN the 28th Amendment NOW ERA Petition
We are petitioning President Biden, Vice President Harris, and the Archivist of the United States, David Ferriero, to certify the full 38 states required for adoption of the ERA as the 28th Amendment to the US Constitution.
2. JOIN the 28th Amendment NOW ERA Postcard Campaign
Write and send postcards ASAP! We are asking the new administration to direct the Archivist of the United States to certify Virginia’s ratification, thus reaching the required 38 states for passage of the 28th Amendment.
3. The ERA YES Mask project
ERA facemasks are designed and sewn by life-long NOW Member Zoe Nicholson. Inspired by the national impact of the ERA buttons and white outfits worn by the women Democrats at the 2020 State of the Union Address during the Suffrage Centennial, the ERA, the mask project will distribute ERA masks to U.S. Representatives asking for their support of the ERA and encouraging them to wear the masks in public to remind everyone that Equal Rights is unfinished business.
You can also order masks for your local leaders, chapter members, and yourself at https://tinyurl.com/ERAYES
4. CONTACT your Senator and/or Representative
Make sure your Senators and Representatives have joined as co-sponsors bills that were introduced recently to remove the original ERA ratification deadline. If they have not: make calls, send letters, write postcards and ask them to cosponsor.
- Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) and Rep. Tom Reed (R-N.Y.) introduced H.J.Res.17 – Removing the deadline for the ratification of the equal rights amendment
- Senators Ben Cardin (D-Md.) and Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) announced S.J.Res.1 – A joint resolution removing the deadline for the ratification of the equal rights amendment
5. WRITE Letters to the Editor in your state
6. JOIN an ERA Coalition Committee
ERA Coalition is forming “Republicans for the ERA” and “Veterans for the ERA” Committees. They are looking for members to join. If you are interested, please contact Bettina Hager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about NOW 28th Amendment ERA Committee, find us on Facebook and Twitter.