The National Organization for Women (NOW) seeks a full-time Press Secretary.
NOW is dedicated to intersectional grassroots activism to lead societal change, promote feminist ideals and eliminate discrimination. The organization’s advocacy for women’s equality encompasses six core issues:
- reproductive rights and justice
- ending racism and achieving racial justice
- winning civil and human rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual (LGBTQIA) people
- ending violence against women
- securing economic justice for all women
- amending the U.S. Constitution to include women’s equality
DutiesDuties and Responsibilities
- Develops and implements a strategic messaging and media plan.
- With assistance from NOW’s PR firm, pitches stories to national and regional papers, magazines and long-form media outlets, TV and radio stations, online outlets, local media, as well as mainstream media outlets.
- Takes incoming inquiries from reporters and work with PR firm to coordinate responses.
- Prepares talking points for NOW spokespersons.
- With communications team, draft, revise, and edits press releases, op-eds, newsletters, briefings, earned media plans, website and social media content.
- Coordinates approval and publication of press releases and other media content with the communications team.
- Distributes statements and materials to media, actively pitching, booking NOW spokesperson(s), and placing op-eds.
- Helps maintain NOW’s press lists and reporter relationships. This position will also include outreach to diverse communities and audiences.
- Staffs NOW’s President when in the field.
- Supervises communications intern(s), training and assigning work in a developmentally appropriate manner.
- Work involves occasional irregular and/or unpredictable hours.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Political Science, or Marketing preferred and minimum of 3 years of experience.
- Hill experience or have worked on a political campaign experience as the primary contact for press for a national organization preferred, but not required.
- Experience pitching media and has relationships with producers and reporters. Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English.
- Ability to write, prepare and edit in a creative and clear manner under limited supervision.
- Experience with social media and integrated digital communications. Good oral communication skills which include public speaking.
- Basic photography, and familiarity with Photoshop or other graphics editing tools; a plus but not required.