The National Organization for Women (NOW) seeks a full-time Communications Director. The Communications Director will be directly supervised by NOW’s president, and will have the opportunity to shape the organization’s communications strategy from the ground up.
Competitive candidates will have experience leading overall communications strategy–with a strong background in both media relations and online advocacy. The ideal candidate will also have experience managing a website redesign. Knowledge of social justice advocacy, and a passion for grassroots, intersectional feminist activism are essential.
NOW is dedicated to intersectional grassroots activism to lead societal change, promote feminist ideals and eliminate discrimination. The organization’s advocacy for women’s equality encompasses six core issues:
- reproductive rights and justice
- ending racism and achieving racial justice
- winning civil and human rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual (LGBTQIA) people
- ending violence against women
- securing economic justice for all women
- amending the U.S. Constitution to include women’s equality.
- Develop and implement an external and internal communications strategy that uplifts NOW’s core values and message. This includes press, digital media, communication with our chapters and affiliates, and online fundraising. Serve as a thought-leader to strategies with our staff on upcoming campaigns and initiatives.
- Keep abreast of technical developments in the communications sector that could foster greater, more efficient dissemination of NOW's message; Recruit and manage communications staff and coordinate with consultants
- Create trainings and ongoing development of the communications team, conferring regularly with the president, and working in conjunction with other departments and teams and providing board reports
- Manage online editorial calendar, and identify new opportunities for digital engagement
- Edit content for the email fundraising/advocacy program
- Manage resolution process at annual convention
- Other duties and projects as assigned
- Keep abreast of news on women's rights issues and respond quickly to breaking news impacting NOW’s core issues.
- Proactively seek out earned media opportunities with both established and burgeoning outlets
- Respond to interview requests, and prepare spokespersons for interviews
- Write press releases, op-eds, and other media materials
- Direct paid media including designing and placing advertising
- Direct owned media and internal publications including annual conference program book, brochures and photo archive
- Oversee the redesign of National NOW’s website
- Oversee the creation of a digital media strategy that includes paid advertising, social media, and digital media campaigns
- Facilitate new opportunities for NOW in the digital communications space
- Oversee the creation of digital content such as advocacy videos and webinars
- Facilitate new partnerships with leading organizations in the social justice realm
- Find new areas of interest for working partnerships outside that extend outside of traditional women’s rights (i.e. immigrant rights, racial justice, LGBTQIA rights)
- Work with our allies' both on the Hill and in the nonprofit sector to create topline communications campaigns around our primary issues
- Minimum 8-10 years related experience
- Management experience required
- Experience and established relationships with the press
- Experience with online advocacy and/or fundraising
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Proficiency in Google Drive and Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in social media, particularly Facebook and Twitter
- Basic CRM and CMS skills
- Passion for women's rights and intersectional feminism
- Ability to work well with diverse individuals across age, race, socio-economic, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and other lines
- Experience with a nonprofit membership organization a plus
SalaryThe salary range for this position is $80,000 - $100,000 and it is offered along with a competitive benefits package. The position is based in Washington, DC.
How To ApplyPlease email your cover letter, a writing sample and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: “ATTN: Application for Communications Director – Your Full Name.” Applications will not be considered without all requested information. No phone calls please.
NOW is an equal employment opportunity organization and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of sex, race, age, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital or parenting status, affectional or sexual orientation, or gender identity.